Skip to main content

Heritage,Horse & a Pillow

Many years ago my Grandfather travelled to Sweden for a trip for family research. His ancestors where from Sweden and he had found living relatives that he went to visit. Being only 6 years old, the only thing that I remember from his return where the numerous slides I had to sit thru and the Lovely Little Dala horse that I received.

 I thought I would be getting wooden shoes (I guess I thought he was going to Holland) and I didn't like the red color of my horse at the time. My sisters had received either white or blue and I thought they were much prettier. But with much research later, I learned that red is the traditional color and it is a reminder of him and his desire to learn and know more about his family and his home country. My Mother also carried on the traditions by cooking Swedish dishes and Celebrating Swedish holidays. Sometimes I feel as though I have not carried on the traditions or further explored my heritage but again I feel like these thoughts and stories are my way of carrying them on. So to honor my Heritage I will attempt to create this Scandinavian Style Pillow and give it a place on honor in my Home.

It will look fantastic next to my 35 Year old horse and reminded me of my Heritage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden

The Oscars

The Oscars are upon us. Happening tonight. I usually watch the Red Carpet to see what everyone is wearing, but it often makes me think about at one time I wanted to be a costume designer.  I have always liked making things and thought it would be easy. I have made several Halloween costumes over the years. Pretty simple and very classy. I could design costumes for movies, right.. This classic would surely win me many Oscars. I am sure I would get many votes for this interpretation of a Court Jester. Of course these are from about 25 years ago, when life was much simpler.. Now I don' think I would be able to complete with other designers.. Oh well I better find something else that I am better at.. Enjoy, Janet