Skip to main content

1500 LadyBugs

We discovered what we thought were aphids in our garden, But after some research the appear to be spider mites. They had multiplied pretty fast and had covered all of the stems and leaves.
The mites are pretty damaging as the seem to suck life right out of my False Sunflower plants. The are tiny and red and covered numerous stems of the plant. So we decided to order 1500 Ladybugs from Amazon.com. They came in about 2 days from a farm in Ohio and were shipped in a perforated plastic container with wood chips and protein.

Per the instructions, we released them in the evening on a water garden. They are less likely to fly in the evening and the water is for their thirst. We did as instructed and let them lose.
We sprinkled them just on the False Sunflower since this is the only plant that has the spider mites. We stood there and watched our 1500 new neighbors begin to accumulate to their new home. I mean 1499, 1498, 1497 as a few flew away probably looking for not so crowded homes. But many of them have stayed and hopefully will enjoy the spider mites and other bugs this summer.


We released them on Thursday last week and they are still in the garden as of this past weekend. They have spread to other parts of the garden but seem to like the False Sunflower the best.

For now we will keep an eye on our 1497 or less friends and see if they start reproducing and maybe we will have 1500 more LadyBugs.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…