Skip to main content

Patriotic Craft

Even though it is the day after the fourth, I thought I would share my latest item that I made just before going to a 4th of July party. We had decided to bring cheese tray but I wanted to look Patriotic for the Holiday. I first started with some stars and stripes fabric.
I wanted to make something just to put over the tray for under the cheese, so I just laid the fabric out next to the tray and eyeballed it to figure out the design.


Just a few strips of each color sewn together and then sewed around the edges and I was done. Took less than 1/2 hour to make.

My next dilemma was toothpicks. I don't have a fancy toothpick holder and did not buy any fancy toothpicks. So I had to figure something out. This was all I had to work with.

So I decided to make little toothpick haystacks. That a hand full of toothpicks and wrap with a rubber band.


You need to dress it up a little with some fabric ties.

Next just poke a few out higher than the rest so guest can select a toothpick and you have a cheap and easy toothpick holder. Then I was set for my cheeses.
Happy Fourth of July! (even though it is the 5th)!




Comments

  1. really lovely

    btw if you have a really good diy tutorial, do link it up:
    http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-5/

    our readers love fine creative projects, particularly those athat are a bit unusual and truly unique.

    rose

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…