Skip to main content

Where I Create - Before and After

I have a nice space to sew and craft in, but it's not always been that way. It is in our basement and it was cold and uninviting. I also use to have a bit of an organizational problem and my craft room started out looking like this.

A mess with stuff every where and that ugly dark rug that showed every piece of thread. Not to mention the panelling which needed to be changed and the fact that I was not using the space very efficiently.
The space just wasn't fun or inspiring to create in, until I started to paint. This space has actually been painted twice due to a flood we had 2 years ago and follow are the photos from the second remodel. The paint color is Honeydew Mellon (Maratha Stewart) and I am not sure they even make the color anymore but I have been carrying around this paint chip for years (used it in my bedroom as well, I like color!)



We decided after the flood to create a wainscoting effect and a chair rail. (strips on wall are for shelves).

I love the color contrast of the two colors and it was so exciting to see it come together little by little. This is what it looks like today, well with some minor changes and the fact that right now my table is covered in fabric and supplies.


On the other side I purchased a painting table that can be laid flat as well so it can be used as another work surface.

I have a few more plans for the space including a makeover for the desk chair above and reworking the storage since my fabric supplies seem to be growing. But for now I can say that this is a wonderful place to create and thankful for the time and effort that was spent to create it for me. It is my sanctuary.

PS: Tomorrow I will post my project for the weekend!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…