Skip to main content

Zinnia Stencil Pillow Completed

My Zinnia stencilled pillow is finally completed and following is the process that got it completed. It was long project but the results where worth it. First I downloaded and cut the stencil from Ready Made Magazine.
Next I laboriously cut out by hand all of fifty or so petals to form the flower. Then to find some fabric for the pillows I wanted to stencil. I had a few pieces of muslin but not enough to make four pillows. My husband suggested that we needed new curtains in the bedroom and why not use that fabric. So that is what I did. Down they came and into the washer they went.


There was just enough for the four pillows and cut 4 squares about 19" x 19". For the paint I used Regular acrylic paint in Cadmium Orange and mixed it with textile medium with a 2:1 ratio of paint to the medium. Laid out the stencil and randomly placed and rotated the stencil to make a more interesting pattern


This was the very first test and the Zinnia's turned out quite nice, so I proceeded to cover the whole piece of muslin.


With Textile medium you need to allow the paint to cure for seven days and then press with an iron for 20 seconds on each of the painted areas. This was the time consuming part since this was done over three weekends, I was in the middle of the process the entire time (it felt like anyway) with no completed end in sight. But last weekend was at last the sewing and finishing weekend. They are actually covers for pillows that I already have and have a dark pattern and one layer of muslin was not covering the dark pattern. I had to double the muslin to make the covers more opaque. First ironed to set, sewed together and covered the old pillow and they are done.


They look amazing and change the feel of the room too more casual and summery. Just the look that I wanted to achieve.


Now I can sit back and relax and enjoy another project completed. Well maybe since I still have a few more projects on my list,but for now my Zinnia Stencil has been stored away for the summer.

Comments

  1. LOVE IT!!! I may need to borrow that stencil if we ever get to fixing up our bedroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super easy but cutting it was brutal. I have an extra on all cut out if you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out so well! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Love the combo of color and pattern! This would be pretty with a rose pattern as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this was very ambitious. It turned out beautifully. I'd love for you to link up with Fabric Fun Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I love the orange. It gives such a nice pop of color-my fav by the way ;)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this turned out! Great job on the stencil. I did something similar on a table, hadn't thought to do it on fabric. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…