Skip to main content

Mod Podge Silk Screening

Mod Podge, heard of it, never used it until I tumbled across this blog and had to try silk screening. It looked  easy enough and the instructions are great. I already had a t-shirt,so all I need was paint, Mod Podge, a curtain sheer and an image to use. For my image I wanted something organic and simple, so I settled on this fern.
Next you trace this on to a piece of sheer fabric. I went looking for a cheap sheer curtain and could not find one, but I had a scrap of a sheer fabric and used that instead. I placed the sheer in an embroidery hoop and traced with a sharpie.


The next step was the most time consuming and took two weekends to complete. You had to completely paint out with Mod Podge the areas you do not want paint in. This took about 2-3 coats since you really want to seal up the holes so paint does not bleed thru.


It needed to dry at least 15-20 minutes,maybe more in heat and humidity and then you are ready to screen. Now this is easy you lay it down on your t-shirt and just start painting. Making sure to get all the areas and I had to paint over at least 2-3 times to get a good transfer.


But the results are amazing! Very organic and not perfect, but that was what I wanted. 


I only used two of the leaves since my hoop would not accommodate a third. I screened three time on this shirt and it worked great each time.


Along the bottom and in the center of the back.


Three times is about all the screen could handle until it started to get clogged, but I tried on another t-shirt for practice.


The ferns started to get fuzzy and this color after it dried did not show up well on the brown. Last step on the green shirt, I cut the collar and sleeves for a more ragged edge detail to add to the organic feel.


Hard to see but I cut the collar in half and then cut the front part about 1/2 the length of the back part. This is the finished product and to quote my Husband.."Looks like you bought it that way"

And the back.
This was really fun and amazing how it worked out so well. I can't wait to make more! I highly recommend trying this! You too will be amazed!




Comments

  1. Well hallo and I'm glad you found me! Yours turned out great! I love it -

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing idea. You did a great job. Thanks for linking with Fabric Fun Thursday :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever! I love how yours turned out. Spotted you on Shabby Nest's link party, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, never thought to try it with mod podge. That stuff is so multipurpose. Ever tried printing with freezer paper?? It's a little more simple and produces great results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…