Halloween Pumpkin Poofs

I have always loved Japanese Lanterns and have grown them in my garden for years. A friend once told me not to grow them since they would take over my garden. Well 8 years later and they are completely gone and don't have any to decorate with. So I had to improvise this year and make my own. First I started with a roll of crepe paper which is super inexpensive at $.79 at Party City.
I then cut it into strips of 18" long and then fed each piece thru my sewing machine with a large stitch setting.
Gathering it as is went thru and feeding each strip one after the other. Leaving just a loose little thread in between each piece. I ended up with a piece that looked like this.
Next I gently pulled the thread from both ends and pushed the paper along the thread. Then I tied both ends of the thread together and pulled as tight as I could without ripping the paper. I was left with this orange poof.
Last step was to use them in my home. I have this vase of reeds and stems that I thought would work perfect.
A bit bland for Halloween until I attach my Halloween pumpkin poofs.
Very easy and it cost me less then $.79! Just a little bit of orange for the holiday. I think that it looks like a Truffla tree from Dr Suess and is the perfect decoration for Halloween! Enjoy!







Comments

  1. I love those lanterns too. This is an easy & thrifty alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! They look like mini poms...and I LOVE poms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for adding lots of cheap color for the season. I bet there are tons of great things we could make for cheap with paper streamers. You've got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I'd love if you'd link up to my Spooktacular party:

    http://makinglemonadeblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-spooktacular-week-two-take.html

    I love those little poofs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever! Love the pop of poufy color on the dark branches. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant idea! You could change the colors through the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the poofy pumpkins! :) This tree caught my attention at Seven Thirty Three's party because it looked like my candy corn tree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. very fun. I hadn't thought of sewing onto crepe streamers before. It worked great! Thanks for Linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

Mini Antique Mannequins

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff