Skip to main content

Good Bye Zinnias, Hello Australia

Over the summer, I painstakingly hand stenciled orange Zinnias on to plain muslin fabric to make pillow covers. I only intended to keep them for the summer and retired them once the winter came.
But they stuck around until just this past weekend when it was time for the summer to say goodbye since now the temperatures are in the single and minus digits. Now being a fan of tennis, I have been watching numerous hours of the Australian Open this past week (where by the way it is summer and 70-80 degrees) and I think it may have influenced my selection of fabric. The fabric is Kas Cavallo Spice and is designed in Australia! 
Now I wanted something bold and colorful, but looked warm as well. I think I found in this fabric.I love the large scale flowers and it almost has an aboriginal art feel to it. I quickly sewed up two pillow covers and placed them on the sofa.
Now to make it more interesting I also bought the lovely geometric and made a long accent pillow as well.
Just a little more color and warmth. And I have another project planned with the geometric that I can wait to finish and blog about.
I love the colors and how the two look together. Makes me want to change up all the pillows in the house! Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Very cute pillows. I'm just getting back into sewing and made a pillow cover myself. How did you close these up? Zipper, or the rear flap thing (can't remember what that's called)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had stitched them up by hand. I could have done the envelope back or zippers but wanted to get them done quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your choice in fabric! Just the thing to snuggle into while watching the tennis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these colors~~sure brings a sense of spring or summer to the winter months

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore that suzani print! I would so love to upholster an entire chair in that *sigh* gorgeous fabric. If only. Great choice :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…