Skip to main content

What I Saw Wednesday - Changing the ISO Setting

I my attempt to learn how to use other settings on my Camera other than Auto, I have been taking photos of what I see during the week and tweaking some settings. This week I changed the ISO (Light sensitivity) and it is a hold over from the film camera days and film speed. Now I completely understand film speed from my days with my Old Canon AE-1 Days. So I started by just walking around my work warehouse and snapping some shots.
Leather 1 - ISO at 800
I like this nice detail in the grain of leather and the light is coming from above. Washes out the white leather but I love the contrast of the green and brown.
Leather 2 - ISO 400
There was over head lighting that was shining down on this lovely blue leather, giving it a very shiny appearance, when in fact it it is really not shiny.
Light Bulbs -ISO 800
In a very dark corner of the warehouse, these bulbs are stored and I thought they looked interesting. Not much light, but some it is reflected of the metal ends.
Leather Bins - ISO  800
Some natural light from the windows behind me in this photo giving a nice natural look and pleasing to the eye.
Baseballs 1 = ISO 1000
This was taken in a very dark spot and the light is coming from above and behind (what there is of it) and yet again tends to make the balls look shiny and seems to be a bit of noisy as that makes the photo grainy.
I think I learned that you can take photos in different light conditions without a flash. The flash to me sometimes throws to much light and tends to wash the color out of photos. So this test really taught me how to use the ISO setting and I will continue to use it and incorporate other functions of the camera. It was a great learning experience and I recommend that if you have these types of settings on your own camera to fool around with them and see what kind of great photos you can produce. This has opened up a whole new world for me and I will be back next week to tackle another setting. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…