Skip to main content

Cowl Neck Vest Revealed

A few weeks back this Cowl Neck vest was on my Weekend list. I don't sew clothes very often but thought I would try again.
I had purchased the pattern Dan.a on Etsy. It was simple to read and only four pattern pieces. I decided to use a Chartreuse knit since I thought it looked like a good spring color.
I was concerned about sewing with a knit since it can move and bunch if you are not careful. It took me about 3 hours to complete (cutting pattern,cutting fabric and sewing) since you have to pin this fabric a lot so it does not move while sewing. I was completely impressed at how easy it was to sew and the instructions were simple to follow.
Now it looks like a big lump of fabric on the floor since I could not get a good photo of myself in it. But I got one of the cowl and how it drapes.
It is quite nice and would be lovely under a spring jacket or in the fall or winter with a turtleneck. One note about the pattern although, It fit me okay,but because I am tall it was a bit short and boxy for me. I think I might alter it to make it more fitted or it could be belted. I would possibly make it slightly longer as well as it hit me right at the waist. With the exception of these two things I would definitely recommend this pattern since it was well written and easy. The best part is that it only cost be about $7.00! and I have a new piece for spring wardrobe! Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Looks like a great vest and I love the color you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so cute, Janet - you should have modeled it for us. You chose one of my favorite colors :). Hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim, Maybe next time when I sew something I will model it when I don't have bed head! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so cute! I love the color, too.

    Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is way cute! i love it! i love how it flows and that it is a unique design...i also LOVE the color! thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hiya , that is gorgeous love the drape and the colour , tfs iam stopping by from amaze me mondays ,i am your newest follower and i hope you pop by mine somtime and follow me too
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so pretty! love how it turned out!!

    I'd love for you to link this up to my new link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from tatertots and jello. Beautiful vest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that is so adorable--I want to make one! Thanks for sharing at Beyond The Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…