Skip to main content

Mable Gets a Makeover

I named my Jewelry Mannequin Mable over the Spring since I really thought she needed a name.
She is an average size but I always thought she was a little plain and need a scarf or top to dress her up. So I thought I would make my own dress for here that alway would serve as a cover to protect her stark  white skin. I started with an old sheet in a light tan color that I thought would work the best for display purposes.
Next I basically made a sack. Two rectangular pieces sewn together on two sides only. Much like a pillow case but open on both ends.
Next I cut out the shoulder cuts. I did this first by placing the sack on Mable and tracing the curve of the shoulder. I then cut both sides to match.
 Now the last few steps I kind of fumbled along with since I have never made a piece of clothing that looked anything like it was suppose to nor do I have the best sewing skills. I basically but the sack on Mable and pinned and re-pinned and sewed and resewed until it looked right. It wasn't fun and it has cured me of ever wanting to make clothes again. But I think the results look great..
Now the neck looks a little wonky but no fear I will find a way to fix it.
I tied a bit of leather cord around her neck to gather it up and then tied a necktie around her waist as well.

She looks a bit like a Girl Scout, but I guess that is okay.

I then dressed her with the jewelry and she looks much better.
A little wrinkled but I think she looks okay.

I think she will look wonderful at some shows over the Summer and Fall.
Maybe I will make a Winter cover/dress?
and then again, I think this dress suits Mable just fine.
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…