Skip to main content

Shabby Chic Tote Bag Completed

I finished many projects over the weekend and can't wait to share all of them. The first one completed is a tote bag that a work colleague wanted me to create for her. She had seen mine that I had created from some fabric samples and wanted one too.
I didn't have any of this left but my work colleague said that she had some fabric leftover from a small reupholstery that she had completed.

A Shabby Chic rose pattern with a coordinating red and white ticking. Just by looking at it, I knew that there was plenty for a very nice tote bag,although I needed a pattern to follow.So I found an old dusty and dirty tote bag in my closet and pulled it apart.
It was very easy to take apart only two seams on both sides and top. It became the perfect template for my new tote bag.

With a little dressmakers chalk I marked 3" in from both sides. This would be the pattern for striped fabric. Next I cut the rose and striped fabric just over (1/2") the sizes above to accommodate for seam allowances. Then I sewed them together.
Folded,Ironed and sewed the edge on both ends by folding over 1/2" twice. Then sewed up the sides to create the bucket of the tote.

For the straps, I intended to take a 3" piece and fold in half and topstitch. But when I actually laid it out and ironed it, they looked to narrow for such a large bag. I had to change the design but for the better. I took a strip of both fabrics and sewed them together like a tube.

I placed the old tote bag straps on top of the pieces to use as my guide and to make sure I sewed straight since this was for someone else I wanted it to be perfect. Turned the straps inside out and then attached to the bucket, making sure to double stitch so they are secure. And it was done!

I finished it off with a fabric covered button in the ticking and it is now ready for numerous summer uses. It was a easy project that took about 3 hours to complete since I was working completely from scratch and basically creating the pattern as I went along. Next time it should go a little quicker if the opportunity arrises,but for now it is one more project that can be moved to the completed side of my project list. But most importantly the work colleague is ecstatic and can't wait to use it!




Comments

  1. That is lovely! I sometimes take a tote bag and add pockets and embellishments to it, that way I get to do the fun stuff right away! Love your color and fabric combination, very sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…