Ikea Magazine Re-do
I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99.
I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago.
It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together.
Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished.
I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later.
As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge to secure the fabric to the holder.
I am determined to see how many projects I can use this on. I will give you a trick although, I was painting it on with a brush at first but it is much easy to pour a puddle of it on your product and then move around with your brush. You get better coverage and depth of the Mod Podge. Next I coated each side and wrapped the fabric around.
Until I got all the way around to the beginning and covered up my staple with the overlap.The way I cut my fabric really made this finish nice. I used the corner of the curtain that was hemmed for my overlap so it finished the back with out any raw edeges
Next I needed trim the top piece and secure.
I cut along the side loosely following the side pattern of the holder.
Coated it with Mod Podge and secured it down. The corners and top were a bit more difficult. The top I cut a line and them two v's to get it to lay right.
Once I coated it good I put a top coat on this cut as well to hold it in place. The corners were much easier and cut a straight line up to just below the corner on the inside and it work perfect. Coated and secured and top coated the corners on the inside.
This was what is looks like on the inside. Not too pretty, but the magazines will be covering most of this and you won't see the inside.
Once it was dry, I made a ribbon strip of lime green from an old tablecloth and added a tag to identify the magazines. It fits into my craft room decor perfectly and I love that I made it with new and old pieces.
I made two and have possible enough to make one more. Now I have a pretty way to store my Magazines and it was super easy and a ton of fun! Enjoy!