Skip to main content

Before and After #1

As promised last week I would finish a few projects over the weekend and show you the after photos this week. I can honestly say that I finished most of them and most turned out awfully nice. But enough with the suspense, let the after photos begin.
The first on the project list was this ugly storage box that I had recovered once before. The fabric was just too heavy and it never closed properly.
I stripped the fabric off it and decided to use this lovely heavy cardstock to cover it.

The colors are very fallish and will fit into the decor of my office quite well. Next step is to cut the paper to size and coat one side with Mod Podge.

I cut the paper a little longer than the side so I could wrap it around and cover up my seam later with another piece of paper.

I covered both the long sides first and then worked on the ends.

If I was a little more meticulous with the paper I would have tried to match up the pattern on the side. Note for the next time I try this. Then I was on to the lid, same technique as above except on the top I did not overlap the seam.

There was no easy or nice looking way to treat the seam with overlap so I decided to use some bias tape to cover up the seam. I had two choices brown or beige.

I chose the brown since I think matched the best,plus the beige was a iron tape and that might be good for sewing project. I painted a small strip of Mod Podge on the box and applied the tape.

The spots are were the Mod Podge was still wet,but I can say that when it did dry, it dried clear and unnoticeable. Then it was done and placed in my office to store my tape and stapler.

One Project done and three or four to go! It was so easy and fun and it only cost about $1.00! Enjoy and come back tomorrow for another Before and After!



Comments

  1. Your box turned out really well! It makes me regret all the storage boxes I've passed up at thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…