Skip to main content

Sometimes Projects Go Bad

I always think I can improve or change something with a little paint or fabric. I think I learned a lesson on this project. I bought a small bulletin board to cover an phone outlet (no home phone any longer) since it is easier to cover it then to fix the huge hole in the dry wall. I really love the cork boards from Pottery Barn but was not about to spend $80! for one. So I bought one for $5.99 at Michaels and thought I could paint the frame black to match the decor. First I went to tape of the cork since I didn't want my unsteady had to get paint on the cork. I started to tape and when I went to adjust it, it pulled up the cork! and the cork is microscopic thin. Now I will have to cover it and have to figure that out later. On to the frame which I gave a little scuff with sandpaper and realized it is just a fake wood grain and not real wood. I applied the paint and it left streaks where it would not stick to the frame. What a mess! I left it to dry and applied another coat and luckily that did the trick and cover it nicely. Now I just need to figure out how to cover the cork. That will be a project for another day.


Comments

  1. I hate it when projects go bad. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! I will. I do have an idea to cover it and will post the fix!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...