Skip to main content

Relay for Life Luminaire

A friend is participating on the Relay for Life in a few weeks and to support her efforts I purchased a luminaire. They are to decorated for the event and can be lit in the memory of someone. I have had mine for a few weeks and have been trying to figure out what do with it and then finally an idea came to me.
I few weeks ago I picked up these paper stencils for .97 each at Joann's in the clearance section. They each have six stencils that can be used layered together or alone.

I wasn't sure at the time that I bought them what I would do with them, but I they were to good of a bargain to pass up. So first I took the Luminaire and opened it up along the seam of the bag. Pretty easy if you just take your time or you can use an exacto knife to help it along if the glue is strong. Then I laid it out flat on my work space and started to stencil.

I used the flower stencil twice, once in one color and then rotated it about 45 degrees and then stenciled another color. Then I used another leaf like stencil for the border. I thought I wanted to cover the whole bag with flowers but after laying it out, the space seemed to small for the idea. I let it dry and then glued it all back together. I wish I had had a glue stick for this step since crafty glue does not stick very quickly unless you hold it in place, but it worked no the less and Luminaire was back together.
I think it looks great and I should have done all the flowers in orange and yellow since I like the way the back looks.  They will light these at a ceremony during the Relay for Life and mine is in memory of my Father who died from Cancer 23 years ago yesterday. He loved to golf and garden with my mother and I tried to incorporate some of that in this Luminaire for him.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...