Skip to main content

Recycled Window Photo Frame

I often see old doors and windows at the street on garbage day. Luckily there are people who snap them up before the end up in a garbage truck and then in a landfill. I have only garbage picked a few times but  never know what to do with things like windows and doors. I have seen old windows used as room dividers or just interesting piece of art,But in the recent issue of This Old House JulyAugust  2010 is project I think I can tackle. The idea was to use a window as a photo frame, nothing new but a slight upgrade on the idea.
A set of double hung windows that display old family photos that are mounted right behind the glass. The photos look as if they are floating since they are all the same size and color. A lovely display of old family photos that compliment each other.Another idea that the Magazine came up with was to mount the photos behind mats to give them a little more depth.

I think this is a great idea as well to make the photos all work together with the same color mats. I think I would have all the photo reproduced in black and white for more of an artsy feel.Possibly another idea would to paint the window as well if the wood was not in good condition. This project I might just try and now all I have to do is wait for the next garbage day and keep my eyes open for an old window. 

Comments

  1. Planning on using an old door or window for a headboard in our bedroom, whenever I can get my butt in gear to paint the room and tear out that hideous teal carpet! The more weathered looking, the better! I also always wanted an old window coffee table. You could change the images underneath whenever you wanted, or artisticly display kids artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea. I will have to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you use to adhere the pictures to the glass?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...