Skip to main content

Newspaper Pumpkin

I love the white gourds and pumpkins that seem to be coming a staple Halloween decor. Every year I am determined to buy some but get lured away by the bright orange regular pumpkins. So this year I decided to make my own. I must at admit before you read this, I am not totally in love with how these turned out. So you can stop now and turn back if you are scared to read on...
I found these two at the Dollar Store.
The large one is a carvable and the small a plastic hollow pumpkin. I first painted the stems white.

The smaller pumpkin had a removable stem and it was much easier to paint. The larger one took about 2 coat to cover the brown. Next I took the classified section on the newspaper and shred it into 1" strips.

At this point I might had shred it a little narrow or possibly run it thru a shredder to get consistency. Then I took the strips and applied to the pumpkin with Mod Podge. 

This was easy since news print is very thin and the Mod Podge soaks right in and you can glue and coat in one step. Be careful not to get it too wet since the newsprint might tear. 
Then they were done.

I let them dry overnight and on the smaller pumpkin I replaced the stem. Last step was to apply a ribbon with a black pin for accent and they were done.

Now I am not sure I like them yet or they just need a little more styling? I think if I were to attempt again I would try to use narrower paper and apply it more haphazardly instead of in perfect strips. Oh well a project to fix or to re-do, not sure yet.. So enjoy if you can!


  1. janet...I also mod podged. I used apples I found at the dollar store that was already covered in corn husk . I cut up an old book that I found at the good will store, I cut my stripe of paper into one inch stripes adheered one side to the apple and the other had curves in it so I just cut slits into the curves, just like you would if you were sewing on a curve, it makes the paper lay easier, the end results turned out pretty smooth, good luck next time!!!!!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…