Skip to main content

Dollar Store Tray Makeover

A couple of weeks ago I picked up two clear plastic trays from the Dollar Store.
I had two ideas to make them a unique home decor item and both involved fabric scraps. The first one I decided to cover in burlap that I had left over from Christmas.
With a little Mod Podge and a few clothespins, I had a burlap covered tray. I thought it need a little something, so added a simple flower stencil.
Then I stenciled with black paint and it was done.
Now I placed it on my nightstand to keep everything I need close by and organized.
The second tray I covered in a nice green Fleur de Lis pattern.
And placed it on my dresser to keep my Jewelry,rings and nailpolish all in one place. They are super easy to create with just a little piece of fabric, Mod Podge and a few days to let them dry and the results are a custom tray to match your decor! Enjoy!

Linking up to these parties:
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

Comments

  1. What a cute idea. I love burlap. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party.
    More The Merrier Monday.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! These are great - I love both of these ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea...they are really lovely, especially the burlap one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great redo... Thank you for the tip!
    Leslie
    Your Newest Follower
    Tranquil Acres of Alexandria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea- I just bought a set of the glasses you had on your night table tray at the TS. Love the project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute! Love that stencil design

    PS- I'm doing my first every giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to stop by and enter! Check it out: http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Please stop by SewWoodsy.blogspot.com and link your dollar store tray makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great idea! it doesn't even look like you got it at the dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Very creative! I’m a new follower Happy Friday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!
    http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow~ how darling!! Very creative of you! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a nifty & creative idea! I would like to invite you to share your idea by linking to my blog bash K.I.S.S. :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your great project by linking up to my blog bash K.I.S.S. @ The Tattered Tag. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, so drop by and link up more of your creativity! :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...