Skip to main content

The Birth of an Idea

I often wonder where other people get there ideas from. Is it a connection with an object that leads from one idea to another? or is it a specific place like a vortex in which ideas flow freely and the mind can explore all corners of the universe?  Recently I have noticed that I get great ideas in one of two places, not very exciting places but good for mind wandering. First is the shower..
I am not sure why, it might the water hitting the back of my head and stimulating some dark area of my feeble brain or it is just the calming sound of the water. No matter what it is it has been a very good place for me to think and be alone with my brain. Only drawback is I can't write anything down, which means I need to remember it when I get out. Not so easy since once I am out, the ideas disappear like the water down the drain. I guess I need a notebook right there when I get out.
 Second place is in bed and the time between sleep and awake.
So many times I have had the idea of the century before falling asleep only to wake up the next day and remember nothing of it. A tricky place for an idea since do you wake up and write it down or  do you (like me) tell yourself that you will remember it in the am. I have at times written things down but then can't understand or  read it in the morning (Seinfeld episode). Maybe the voice recorder on my ipod will work or the note pad on that too. Hmm, I must find a solution before all these great ideas go back in hiding in my brain. Any Suggestions?

Comments

  1. I know what you mean, and I have no solutions....my best ideas come when I am knee deep in a project....usually when I am making pottery and I am right in the middle of shaping and my hands and apron are covered in clay, or when I have just poured out a bunch of paint or adhesive that I don't want to dry up wrong....or when I am driving with two kids and chaos in the car! Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I type things into the memo pad on my blackberry or voice record things. My only problems with this is that I have so much trouble falling asleep and it wakes me up even more :( but, it works for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...