Skip to main content

Estate Sale Find Fix Up - Mini Metal Cabinet

A few weeks ago I found this four drawer mini metal cabinet at an awesome Estate sale.
It measures about 6" x 6"x 8" and had four drawers with different space configurations inside each drawer. It was loaded with nails,nuts,bolts and some old bulls eye papers from the 50's. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I knew I could find a use for it. So when the weather was right I broke out the spray paint and painted it white.
It took many coats but it looks great now and I even painted the inside each of the drawers.  And to add some interest inside I add just a little bit scrapbook paper to line each drawer.
Plain paper for the larger drawer.
Plain and striped for the other three drawers. They are the perfect size for thread,buttons or beads.
The cabinet looks lovely with my sewing needs and rest on yet another newly painted metal cabinet that my Brother-In-Law gave me about a year ago. It had been patiently waiting for a fix up as well.

It will be storing some of my antique seam binding, that I keep finding more and more uses for and fit perfectly in the space.
I love when a project is finally done and you can step back and enjoy it and start using it too!
Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Awesome find and transformation Janet! Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the sewing organization! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...