Skip to main content

I Think I Can Make That for Less Jewelry

I look at every piece of jewelry and think I can make it some how, but once I start dissecting the process and the parts it doesn't turn out that way. It usually is far more involved than my skills will allow or the materials are cost more if I had bought the finished product. Until this weekend when I actually created something less than if I had bought it.
I found this on www.jewelrysaga.com and you can buy them in bulk and they are a leather twist with shell accent. I decided to use braided leather pieces that I split my self using a very dangerous but effective stripper.
I had a large piece of this leather embossed with Alligator print (cost= $0) and stripped it into numerous pieces.
Then I clipped it to my lap desk and braided a piece about 18" long.
Next I knotted,glued and crimped the ends so that I could add my trinkets ($1.00) and buttons ($.50).
Finished off with a Lobster clasp ($.50) and it was done.
Not and exact replica, but close. It was so easy to make that I made another one with leftover coins ($1.00) from an Estate Sale find.
Now I can honestly say that I made something for less or for $2.00!
Enjoy!
Linking up to these parties:

Comments

  1. That's frugal!! Thanks so much for sharing at the Kiss & Tell party over at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...