Skip to main content

Merry Christmas Elf Hat

Merry Christmas!

I found myself wanting to make Santa hats for my twin nephews this year at the last minute. When I found this super cute flannel fabric for a steal and thought it would be perfect for the hats, but change them to Elf hats since it fits the boys personalities better!
I was going to make my own pattern since it seem like it would be easy, but ran out of time and used a tutorial from Fun Fleece
It has all sizes of patterns from baby to adult, and was super easy to follow. I tweaked it a bit since I was not using furry fabric and my color scheme was different. I started my making a white pom pom for the top.
This is pretty easy and had to call on my skills from when I was a child and made these with washers from my Father's tool bench. Now all you do is cut two circles about the size of the pom pom you want, cut a circle from the center and a side opening and start wrapping yarn. They come out a little irregular but nothing a trimming with scissors won't fix.
Then I sewed in a Jingle bell and sewed the pom pom in to the hat.
And they were done! I filled them with a few stocking like suffers (markers and flashlights) and gave them to the boys,, I mean Elves!
So cute!
Posing is not fun, but at least we got one photo of them together!
Merry Christmas


  1. I love the pics you got of them. I love the hats, and I love the way they look in them! Thanks from me and the elves!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…