Skip to main content

Tips for Surviving Outdoor Arts and Craft Shows



It has been a very busy summer since I decided to start selling jewelry at outdoor shows. Like anything new, it has been a learning process and every show brought different challenges. So I have compiled a list of the things I have learned by facing the challenges if you are ever thinking about embarking on this adventure!
(1) Weather
You can not control it but you can control how you deal with it. I learned that wind is not your friend and displays that worked inside don't always work outside. We had to weigh down all my mannequins with sand filled cigar boxes and screw their bases in to the box to keep them from moving. This took about two shows with gusty winds for us to learn this, since we got tired of hanging on to everything and picking broken jewelry off the ground.

(2) Good Shoes
Now when I mean good, I don't mean date night shoes or those that are really cute. I mean good as in possibly orthopedic and ugly. Your back and feet will love you at the end of the day if you invest in good pair of shoes. I stand for almost of a entire show since I like to engage people to look and my jewelry needs a bit of explanation. Very first show in flip flops was an eye opener. No support for your heel means sore feet,back,legs and head and makes you wonder why you what to do another show. 
(3) Water
Now I am not a huge drinker of water, but my lovely husband is and he makes sure we have a smaller cooler with water at all the outdoor shows. I can say that it does make you less tired although bathroom breaks are more frequent, it does help you with your stamina. It is most important on hot summer days when sweat it rolling down your face and you wonder if you will ever cool off. Water helps to make it a little more bearable.
(4) Attitude
This is my lovely husband who comes with me to every show. He helps me and takes time out of his weekend to cart all my stuff to every show. He puts up with my pre-show craziness and my worry that each show is going to be bad and. Very rarely does he not want to be there but everyone has those days when they don't want to do something. We just get thru the first hour of the show and then things seem wonderful and the show is over and its time to pack up. Then we thinking about all the things that we have learned and what we might need for the next show
Its a learning process that keeps moving and changing. Hopefully this helps someone out there if you are thinking about outdoor shows.. They really are fun!
Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...