Skip to main content

Earthquakes and Other Excitement

Mother Nature caused a bit of excitement here yesterday. We had an earthquake,well not exactly here, it was 378 miles away just outside Ottawa,Ontario,Canada and was a 5.0.
It happened at about 1:41 pm Est and was felt as far away as West Virginia and New York City. There has been no damage reported but caused quite a buzz of excitement.

 I was at my desk at work and occasionally a large truck driving by or the operation of a piece of equipment in our warehouse will make the floors or walls rattle for a few seconds and at first this is what I thought it was. But when I looked up, we have a high industrial like ceiling with air ducts and pipes exposed, I could see the air ducts and roof rattling. This was a little scary since I thought it was going to shake lose, So I headed towards to the door. I was thinking that maybe something had hit the building. Then it it stopped, but the funny thing was the air ducts kept vibrating for at least 10-20 seconds after it hit. Scary and exciting at the same time.
Other excitement occurred when I arrived home to find that my addition samples from Linkdesignsolutions.com had arrived. Last week I had received two Zinnia samples and had forgotten to request some others that I was interested in. They came, once again wrapped in tissue with lovely ribbon and brad.

I love the presentation. The company that I work for sends also sends out samples as well wrapped in tissue. I always thought that maybe it would not be appreciated by our customers. But after receiving my fabric samples I think it expresses that someone cares enough about a beautiful product to wrap it and treat with care. The lovely sample that were in this tissue where:
Matchstick in Spring

Maple in Spring
I thought about using the previous samples on a tote bag or pillow but the matchstick I think would make a fun summer wallet. I will put that on my list and see if it ever gets done. But for now this was all the excitement I can handle for a Wednesday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...