Skip to main content

Felt Zinnia Pillow

A few weeks back I found this felt Zinnia pillow on cluckclucksew.com I fell in love with is and had to try to make it.
You can download the instructions for free, but it is pretty simple. First you cut Thirty 3 1/2" circles and twenty 2 1/2" circles from felt. 

The black circles are another type of fabric that I plan to make another pillow out of after this test pillow was completed. Take a piece of fabric 19" x 19" and draw a large circle on it. (I used a dinner plate) and then cut the felt circles in half and start sewing them around the circle.
Once you sew them all the way around you will need to start a new row on the inside. Staggering them so they look more like petals.

Keep going for about 4-5 rows and then you can start with the smaller petals. The closer you get to the center scrunch the petals a little to make the petals stand up. Lastly, cut a 1" circle for the center and sew in the center. This is the finished piece before I sewed the back on.

Looks pretty good for my first attempt. There are places where the top petals don't cover the stitching on the bottom row,but that I can correct on the next attempt with the black material. And then finally sewed and stuff and placed where I can enjoy it while I blog.

I am pretty pleased with myself that I actually finished this and that it was very simple and can't wait to make more!

Comments

  1. This is so(sew) pretty! Great job. FYI I just purchased an OLFA circle cutter from JoAnn's and it is fantastic! Pricey at $27.99 but I used a 50% off coupon...if you make a lot of circles it is worth it!!! The replacement blades
    are not expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tip. I will definately look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just gorgeous! Love the texture and the colors. Love the patchy quilt of your pillow too, very colorful. How'd the black one come out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ann..Working on the black one.. I will post next week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...