Skip to main content

Tool Review - Olfa Circle Rotary Cutter

I have been cutting numerous circles for my Zinnia Pillow and it is a time consuming process. I would trace the circle then cut it out. Two steps that led to black ink on my hands and on the edges of my fabric. Then a reader suggested I purchase an Olfa Circle Rotary Cutter.
I found it at Joann's and luckily it was 50% off since regular price is $27.99. It will cut circles 1 7/8" to 8 1/2". Made mostly of plastic but pretty sturdy with metal spike and blade. Claims it will cut thru cloth,leather,paper,vinyl,film,wallpaper and more. It took awhile for me to get use to how much pressure to apply to get a complete cut circle but once I got it the cutting went very fast.

Much like a compass it was easy to use and the only drawback was that the package came with very little instruction but referred you to olfa.com for project demonstrations. I watched the video and it explained a few things such as an easy way to set it for the circle size by lining it up on your cutting mat at 1/2 the size of the circle you want to cut. Also when cutting use only one hand. I was using two and pushing it along when in fact you press and turn the cutter for the best results.I would highly recommend if you cut a lot of circles or curves I have used it on felt and leather and it worked great, now just to find more project with circles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...