Skip to main content

Fabric Warehouse

My husband and I have come to the conclusion that our patio cushions need to be replaced just after a year of using them. They are not a standard size (of course) and need to be custom made.
I was never really a fan of the cushion fabric that came with the set but I figured I could live with it for a few years! Well not so, they are getting a little worn and the foam is really compressed. We did some research online and found one site that would make them for around $350-$400. I wasn't sure if this was a good price or not, so we started to investigate a few more options. First was to buy off the rack, but this is not possible because ours are an odd size. Second, make them myself. I really don't think I have the skills or the machine to handle this option, so I will pass. Third was to have them made locally. I think we will chose this option once I get the total price based on what I am about to write. We visited the Fabric Warehouse in Lockport,NY this past weekend and I was amazed at their prices and the selection. Famous name brands (closeouts) at ridiculously low prices.

I can't tell enough people about the prices, lower than if it was on sale or if I had coupon at any large retail store. I am sure to go back after this initial purchase is made for fabric for a few of my tote bags. Back to the cushions, I wanted something with green and brown and I found these three that are all outdoor fabrics.
I like all of them but wasn't sure which I would like compared with the furniture,awning and surroundings,but once I got them home the brown linen look fabric looked the best. The other two were too busy for the cushion but the paisley might be good for pillows and the stripe I love but it does not compliment or match the stripe in our awning. So the last step is to find someone to sew them up for me and have a call in to someone that the store recommend. Based on that price, then we will decided to move forward or not, but if not I have a great source for some lovely fabrics and supporting locale business as well!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...