Skip to main content

School Uniform Re-Do

A friend of mine has a Daughter that attends a private school and uniforms are a required dress. Her Daughter had numerous school uniform dresses that were hand me downs and she had far too many than she could possibly wear.So she asked me if I could make something for her out of the uniform and then my brain went to work. I had an idea but first needed to cut the dress up to see how much fabric I had.
It was pretty easy to cut up, just ran a seam puller along the waist and then just cut up the side. I decided to make headbands that my friends Daughter could wear to school, plus if there were any other students interested I could at least make 10-15 more. They came out really nice and will be delivering them today.
I did make another one that was kind of special and some what of a prototype since I am not sure how it will hold up since it was by first attempt at making a flower (that actually looks like one). So I took a strip that was the waist band, folded in half and then gathered it as it went thru my sewing machine by hand. I then wrapped it around itself making it look like a rose and secured it by hand sewing it underneath from one side to the other. I then added a little pearl bead to make it look extra cute!
I can't wait to deliver them and see how they look on! So easy and quick and a bit of recycling too! I might have to make one for myself since I love plaid! Enjoy!




Comments

  1. This is such a great idea! I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is adorable and my girls love anything with coordinated accessories so i bet they'll be a big hit! Very clever of you!!! I found you from the trash to treasure linky on sassysites & now I am a follower- can't wait to look around and see what other great projects you have done for me to check out... Be blessed, Karyl =0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recycling project. My girls wore uniforms and I loved matching headbands which were not easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great upcycle idea. I see these uniforms all the time at thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...