Skip to main content

Long Sleeved T-Shirt to Turtleneck

I can't stop raiding my closet for T-Shirts to hack. My brain keeps thinking up new way to reuse these items and I can't make it stop. The latest idea started with a long sleeved t-shirt that was hiding in the back of my closet.
It had all the possibilities that I was looking for so I first measured the sleeves.
I did this to see where I should cut to make the shirt short sleeved. I cut both sleeves off at about 9"since I measured a few shirts in my closet and they all fell into about the 9" length.
Next I took both pieces that had been cut off and cut up the seam and was left 2 pieces that looked like this.
Next I took the two pieces and pinned right sides together and sewed along both long sides.
I then took this tube piece and pinned it to the neck of the T-Shirt.
I started with the back since if I made a mistake then it would be in the back and maybe not be noticed. I sewed just below the seam of the neck and the proceeded to work on the front.
The front was a little more tricky since I wanted to make sure that it looked neat. I sewed directly on the seam so that my new stitches were hidden.
Then I turned it right side out and was left with this.
It looks like something from Cat in the Hat, but I am not finished yet. The neck was a bit long so I cut about half of it off.
I left the raw edge on the neck and the sleeves since it cut nice and did not fray. And this is the end result..
A nice loose fitting neck and a piece that can be layered and not too warm or bulky.
Super easy and a whole new piece! So go find a long sleeve and make a turtleneck! Enjoy!


PS: Don't Forget to Enter my Giveaway!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...