Skip to main content

Old Sweater to Chic Accessory

I been creating numerous upcycle project lately and I am not sure why. It could be that I cleaned out my closet and found great items that I just can't get rid of yet since I feel as they still have some wearing life left in them. Or it could be that I am being frugal since as I blog a new roof is being applied to my house and that is a huge expense but it will keep us warm,dry and safe for years to come. So I think it is a combination of both so bear with me as I explore yet another upcycle. This Red sweater has become too pilled and too short for me although I still like the color with its flecks of red and yellow.
I had an idea that was inspired by some handmade knit items that I had seen on Etsy.
I loved the idea of the Scarflette and I can knit but just the basic stitches and trying something fancy was just not going to happen. So I decided to make one out of this old sweater. First I did my least and most favorite thing..Cut the sweater up.
I cut along the seams of the sweater to have the least amount of fraying. This is what is looked like once I cut the arms off and cut up one side of the body.
I had cut the sleeves open as well along the seam so I could see exactly what I had to work with. At this point I had no idea how I was going to make this scarf. It took a few trial and errors to get to the end result,but it is worth it so keep reading. Next I took the sleeve and marked a rectangular piece 5" wide by 28" long with chalk.
Then I zig zag stitched on top of each chalk mark. I did this since I wanted to cut the sweater and I didn't want it to fray when I did.
Then I cut along the outside of the stitch.
Now this is where the project met a crossroads. I thought I wanted to sew a seam binding to the edge and when I attempted it, it looked horrendous so I had to rip it apart and lost some valuable craft time in the process. So I took the other road and folded one of the ends and sew it down.

So I pinned it and sewed it under. Now the nice thing about using a sleeve is that one end already has a finished edge so you only have to sew one edge. The sleeve edge will be the outside edge of the scarf so it will look nice and pretty. The next step was to fold over the long edges and sew.
I just love how the edge came out and looks like a professional scarf. The last step was to find a button and sew two snaps on since I was not cutting the sweater and making a button hole. I sewed a button on the front and a snap on the back behind the button and a corresponding snap to the front of the underside scarf. Then you have a Scarflette!

It looks much better on and it nice and warm.
Perfect when you just want a little warmth on your neck or in my case when the air conditioning is still on at the office and it 32 degrees outside! It was super easy and fun, so cut up a sweater and make one or two! They could be a Christmas gift! Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Super cute! Only thing missing is a fancy Starbucks drink to go along with the warm cozy look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty and so crafty. Smart you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea to do with an old worn out sweater. Thank you for sharing this.

    Hugs,
    Regi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your project~ great re-use idea! Hopped over from Boardwalk Bragfest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to reuse and what a beautiful scarf!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! I gave you an award on my blog. www.polkadotsandpizza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love repurposing projects! Your scarf turned out great - love the color and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome refashion! I'm visiting from Whatever Goes Wednesday, check out my latest refashion!

    http://imakestuff4fun.blogspot.com/2010/11/punky-brewster-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great re-fashion! Thanks for sharing!
    http://www.amaskellantics.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome transformation!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job recycling the sweater! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a creative idea!
    Shantel @
    www.itsapricelesslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...