Skip to main content

Ornament Tree (a Ballard Knock off)


When I first say this ornament tree in the Ballard catalog a few months ago and thought it was pretty and maybe I would make it someday. Well that someday was the last two weekends and it is now done. I first started with an old apple basket and spray painted it white.
Next I need branches for the tree. I thought about cutting them from the lone tree I have in my yard but after further inspection it didn't have enough to spare. Then I thought about a vacant field on my drive home from work and there are plenty of trees for cutting. Well that didn't work either so I had to buy 2 bundles of branches with a snow like effect sprayed on them.
Next I needed to weight the basket and add some styrofoam to secure the branches.
I added some stones underneath the styrofoam (which is recycled packing material) for weight and stability. Next I stuck the branches in a few and a time and stepping back each time to look and see if they looked okay.
Once I finished with the branches, I filled the basket with shredded paper to cover the styrofoam.
Lastly I decorated with a number of different colors and sizes of ornaments and placed on my Kitchen table.

It was very easy and you could use any type of basket and branches. I will tweak it just a little with a nice runner instead of the placemat. But for now I think it looks lovely and a wonderful knock off! Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Very nice...I will have to save this on my craft tab to make prolly next year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and colourful! The shredded paper is such a good idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! I have one too. I made mine out of necessity because we dont have a tree this year since we are moving to Alaska in 2 weeks. I didnt know Ballard did something like it too. http://findingmyaloha.blogspot.com/2010/12/decking-my-halls.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great idea--I have done something similar and hung Christmas Cards that I receive on the branches! Thanks for joining my link party! It has been fun to come and see you each week! http://vintagepollyanna.blogspot.com/2010/12/tell-me-tuesday-link-party-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! Your tree reminds me of Christmas candy and frost, so pretty! I love it when we can get inspired with a design and do it our own way, yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put that page of the catalog on my inspiration board as well, haven't got around to making it yet. Why didn't the limbs in the field work???

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turned out wonderful! Thank you for sharing. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I found you at Pinkapotamus and I am loving your blog! I wanted to invite you to enter my $50 American Express giveaway and my link party that are both going on this week! Keep up the great blogging and happy holidays! -Dana

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.htm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I made a similar centerpiece for the fall with leaves and scarecrows.. Yours is adorable! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...