Skip to main content

Fabric Bar Tray

I decided to update my living room over the past few weeks with some new pillows but decided it need a few other decor items as well. I thought a bar tray would be nice to organize all the utensils and bottles. I started with a plain old cookie tray.
Then I selected a nice geometric pattern that actually matched one of my new pillows and some Mod Podge for fabric.
Before I cut the fabric, I made sure that it covered the sides and part of the back. Next I centered the fabric and painted on the Mod Podge and adhered it to the top of the tray.
I let it dry for 2 hours and then worked on the sides. This was slightly difficult since there were a few folds on the corners.
I used close pins on all sides of the tray so that the fabric would stick,especially on the corners.
I let it dry over a week to make sure it was completely cured and then started on the back. 
I chose not to cover the back with fabric since I wanted to use a scrap piece of leather. I had a piece that was just the correct size and color and would help the tray from slipping was it was complete.

Then it was done and ready to use as a bar tray.

I love the look of it so much that I thought it would be a great for other uses as well.
A place for mail,phone and change when you come in the door. I just love how it turned out that I want to make another one! Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Great idea, I like the leather on the back too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a very creative and unique idea. I love the end result. Well done, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love this idea! I am definately going to attempt it soon! I'd love for you to stop by and link up to my Wine/Bar linky party this week!
    classycolumbusdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! I never would have thought to use a cookie tray. Such a good idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I like it. Great pattern on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am so annoyed now, recently thrw out a cookie sheet I could have sone this with!!!!I should have held onto it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely lovely! I just threw out an old cookie tray and now I wish I hadn't!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius! Thanks for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...