Skip to main content

A little Organization, Please!

I have started to organize my laundry room storage area since it has not looked too pretty lately.
I have wanted to tackle this for a few months but the holidays arrived and I had no time but to make it messier. Finally it was time to start and I started with a baby step since I think breaking a big project down into little ones helps with the sense of accomplishment. I decided by ribbon had just gotten completely out of control.
Bits of ribbon saved from gifts and leftover from other projects. I don't like to throw any pretty ribbon away,so I tend to end up with a ton and it all gets tangled together. I started with a some cardboard (recycled from my work place) and plastic bins (that I have had for ages, also rescued from the dumpster at my workplace..yes we use to have great garbage).
I then cut the cardboard to about 2" wide by 8" long and started to wind each piece of ribbon around the cardboard. Making sure to keep similar colors together and keeping only those pieces that were over 12" long. So I ended up with numerous sticks of ribbon like this.
Then when all the ribbon was wound, I placed it neatly in my plastic bin assorted by color.
I looks so much better than the tangle mess and it almost calming. I also save a lot of space as well since all this bin, sorted by color was originally in four plastic bins and now I am down to one! Time to tackle the next project which are bins of supplies. The organization never ends! Enjoy!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...