Skip to main content

What I Saw Wednesday

One of my New Years Resolutions was to learn how to use my fabulous camera that I got for my Birthday in June. I have been using for over six months with the setting on Auto and seriously need to learn all that my Canon Rebel XS can do. I just happened to read in Macworld Magazine this weekend that Auto is great for good point and shoot photos but taking it off Auto and experiencing what I can do is the first step. So I decided to take a few photos with their suggestions and the following is what happened.
New Year's Eve Glass of Champagne I
This was taken with no flash and on Program AE mode in which the camera selects the aperture and shutter speed but you can change other settings such as ISO (image sensor sensitivity to light). Here is another shot as well in this mode.
New Year's Eve Glass of Champage II
This one I totally love since you can see the color of the glass reflected in the bubbles. Once again on program and did not touch any other settings. Now that I am reading and looking at these photos, it makes me want to really start changing the ISO setting. Next is a photo I took just last night on the front of our house. Over the weekend all our snow melted but luckily it snowed Monday night and I was able to get this shot.
There are two things wrong with this photo, one is that I did not use a tripod and should have since the lights are blurred from pressing the shutter and second I should have adjusted the aperture to let more light in. I will try to see if I can take this photo again later this week and see if I can do a better job. I took another photo last night of the tree branches covered in snow and I do like this one.
I love how the light is shinning down on the snow. This I would also like to try again and see if I can get a more interesting shot of the ornaments and snow. So this is the first step in my Photography resolution and I think that I have made progress. Now I just need to practice what I have learned and move on to Aperture settings!  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. WOW -- I would frame those bubbly pictures, Janet. They are so unique and the colors and shapes are intriguing. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are pretty amazing pics! I've always wanted to learn more about photography!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...