Skip to main content

Ikea Hack #4

I love Ikea and the items that they sell, but sometimes they just need a little help to make them more exciting. I had some magazines holders let over from a previous hack and decided it was time to change it into another useful item.
I decided to make a desk organizer for my craft room, since it was just a tray that held all my sewing utensils.
First I assembled the holder and then cut it down to size.
Next I selected some fabric,which happens to be a summer table cloth.
Then I measured the sides and cut four pieces.
Next I adhered each piece to the holder with Mod Podge.
Then I took a piece of fabric and lined the inside as well.
Then lastly I placed small terra cotta lined with felt inside to organize my items and added a little strip of seam binding as a bow.
Now my desk is more organized and I have more room to craft! Enjoy!

Comments

  1. What a great idea, so cute! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Cute colors too! I'm stocking away ideas to help organize my desk area. Somehow that project seems more fun with cute ideas like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! What a great idea. And cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute. I love Ikea too.. lol
    I have also seen some people who have made something like this from the bottom half of a cereal box!
    I found you from Sumo's Sweet stuff. I'd love for you to stop by and share this with my readers. I am doing a series on offices right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! It looks fantastic!

    I have those magazine holders...still sitting around waiting for me to do something with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. tooo cute!!! i have a weekend project!!!! :) thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome - I have so many boxes laying around - I have been wanting to try this.
    Carrie
    http://mycreativeescapes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out really cute! I'm a big fan of Ikea and Ikea hacks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...