Skip to main content

Burlap Candle Sleeve

I recently bought this large lantern for our patio and was perplexed on what to place in it. It needed two large candles but after some research the two candles were four times as much as what I paid for the lantern!Then I remembered that I had two battery operated candles that I could use.
After placing them in the lantern, I realized they are much too small,too busy and just the wrong color. So I decided to make a sleeve out of burlap to make the candles tall and change the color. I cut two pieces about 1" and 4" longer than the top of the candle and then hand sewed up the side.
The burlap added a little height and color to the lantern, but it still needed something a little more. My husband suggested a little bit of twine to add some interest!
I think that it helped lighten up the color a bit and added a little more texture. 
Now I just need to stay outside late enough to turn them on!


  1. What a fabulous idea !! I love the texture of burlap ... and, the height you gave your candles is perfect in your awesome new lantern. *Becca* (your newest follower)

  2. Great idea! I have a few battery candles and I just love them. They are so useful. Your "new" candles now look amazing. The perfect accent for your fabulous lantern.

  3. Love the idea! Burlap and twine just the needed touch! Visiting from Coastal Charm NTT!!

  4. Perfect transformation and it looks perfect with your lantern. Straight out of Pottery Barn! Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both sides. Then repeated the same proc…

Neck Tie Upcycled to Cuff

I found a large stash of Neck ties at an Estate Sale this past weekend and I had to buy them since I had the perfect idea for an upcycle project. They were mostly from a long since closed store here in Buffalo,NY and I felt the need to preserve them as well as the tags. I started by washing them on gentle and removing them immediately and laying flat to dry. They came out a little disfigured but nothing that a little ironing wouldn't fix. Next I took a seam ripper and opened up the back to take out the interfacing. I did this for two reasons, it was discolored and had a little odor and it would be easier to sew without this bulk.  I next cut the tie into a piece 10" long and hemmed the edge. Then I sewed two pieces of velcro to each side to make my cuff. The last step was to sew on a few antique buttons and beads and my cuff was done. Wow! Looking at this I can't believe how it turned out!.But wait... I made a few more! Love this one.. Antique Maple leave button and golden bead! …

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center.
Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making sure to f…