Skip to main content

Plant Tag Art

Over the years, I have saved every plant identification tag from every plant I have used in my garden. I used them to learn and identify each plant and used them in a journal and a scrapbook. I still have many left and thought there some way I could use them.
Then I had an Idea. Just use them as Art and then I could enjoy them all year long. I first selected a few that I liked the best.
Then I painted a piece of cardboard with Rust-Oleum Hammered Finish paint, since I wanted it to look like galvanized metal.
Next I cut each tag and a piece of the cardboard and attached the tag with a piece of foam tape to add some dimension.
The last step was to arrange on a piece of card stock and attached with more foam tape. 
And the last step was to place in a freshly spray painted frame.
My art was done and ready to enjoy!

Comments

  1. Wow, what a fun and creative project! This is such a great idea. Amazing job and thank you so much for using Rust-Oleum to build your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool project. I have a huge bag of those tags in my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my plants still have the tags on them , otherwise I cannot remember their names! Nina
    www.ninalazina.info

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever!! I love seeing art made with 'uncommon' things! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SOO cute! They look kind of like little jewelry charms (which is what I thought from the thumbnail), but so fun all matted and framed... and such a great gift for gardening friends (if you don't have a green thumb)! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so great! I love the idea, never thought of that. They could also look really cool collaged together. I keep mine in a three-ring binder. You can check it out here if you like:

    http://homedaybook.blogspot.com/2011/05/book-of-plant-labels.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is soo cute! Love it ;)

    www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a clever idea and what a great way to remember what you have planted :)

    Blessings Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea to use the plant tags for an art! i regret throwing the tags now hehe

    I'm your newest follower and blog hopping from Homemaker on a Dime Creative blogger's party

    Susan at http://tea-diary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/06/tuesday-confessional-link-party.html. I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet, I'm trying to get all my followers back. My blog was hacked and I had to rebuild. I'm following you again, and could really use a follow on GFC. Also, do you remember what date I featured you at my blog? I would like to redo that post and the date would help. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...