Skip to main content

Vintage Paper Votives

I recently acquired a twenty five year old Encyclopedia and I really had to let it sit around for a few weeks before I figured out what I wanted to do with it.
I paged thru it and marked some of the images that I really loved and then sat down one night and cut a few out.
Then the inspiration finally hit me and I knew what I wanted to make,so I collected my materials.
A Plastic sleeve and a glass candle holder.
Then I covered them both with pages from the book with Mod Podge.
I also had bought these metal edge tags for $1.00 a few weeks ago and decided to use them as well.
I used them to frame an image from the Encyclopedia.
The last step after they were dry was to add a little ribbon and a battery operated candle.
Sitting on a old dictionary during the day..
And lit during the evening!
Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I love how those turned out!! I'm bookmarking this to make later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely! There is something so special about projects using book pages and I love what you did with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet votives--I love the printed paper look--great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great! I love old paper and paper crafts. This is an idea I have never thought of or seen. Thanks so much for sharing, I can't wait to give it a try.

    :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love votives. Love using old paper. HAVE those tags! Must make. These are so cool...thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! I love how pretty they look with or without a lit candle in them.

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...