Skip to main content

Antique Quilt to Modern Accessory

I love Modern Design with it's clean lines and simple patterns but part of me has a soft spot for Rustic Americana. I think it comes from the early days of decorating my first apartment with a country motif. I had quilts hanging on my walls that were family heirlooms and some that I found at garage sales. I recently came across one in my laundry room that had been storage (in plastic) for many years.
I decided it was time for it to have a new life and become a little more modern. It has some serious age and deterioration issues and I knew it could never been used as a quilt top again.
I decided to cut it up and before I am admonished for doing this, it has been a very good quilt for me. It has decorated may home for many years and I had even used it to keep me warm when I had a terrible flu many years ago. The first step in i's new life was to remove the batting that was very dusty and disintigrating.
Then I cut a rough rectangle and the same from a piece of blue ticking. Then proceed to sew them together.
Then lastly placed it in a spot that I can seem from by bed, to remind me that it once kept me warm and cozy so many years ago.
A place to sit and read possibly.
Our just sit and think....
Enjoy!
Linking up to these Wonderful Parties!

Comments

  1. I love the way you gave new life to an old quilt. It's a big decision for me to cut up a vintage quilt too. But we can justify it when it is falling apart and you come up with an adorable new project. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Upcycle! I would love it if you linked it up over at The T-shirt Diaries Upcycling Linky party: http://tinyurl.com/upcycled70

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet, I think you did something really nice with that old quilt. Better than throwing it out. The cushion looks really cozy and I'm sure will bring you more years of comfort. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...