Skip to main content

Winter Snowball Wreath

There is something about Yarn Pom Poms that makes me very nostalgic. I remember making them as a child with washers from my Father's tool bench.
And after making them for Elf hats, it made me want to make more since they are fun,easy and somewhat like Snowballs.
I started with just a few things I had in my craft room.
Some white and green yarn, MDF Wreath form (not used for Christmas) and some cardboard.
Next I cut the cardboard in to 2",3" and 4" wide rectangles and cut a split line half way to the center of each size.
Next I cut and inserted a piece of yarn about folded about 12 inches long in to the split and then started to wrapping yarn around the a cardboard.
Once this is done, I tied the 12 inch yarn around the wrapped yarn and tied a lose knot. I then started to cut along the top and pull the knot tighter. Once the top was done, I cut the bottom and slowly pulled it off the cardboard. I kept tightening the knot and making sure no yard came lose. Once I completed one, I continued to make 15-16 more since I wasn't sure how they would all lay out on the wreath form.
  I laid them out in a random fashion since I wanted it look not planned or symmetrical. I took a photo of it so i could remember what it looked like so I could tie the pom poms on correctly
This is the back of the wreath. Using the ties from the poms, I secured them to the wreath by using a knot.
Then it was done, but I felt it needed a little help.
 First I tried Silver Snowflakes, they looked okay but a little contrived
Then I thought a winter scene with wooden house and sprig of winter berries, still not exactly what I wanted.
Then I hung on the door with a ribbon and white Snowflakes.. Getting close but not perfect.
Then just one Snowflake. 
Now that is a Perfect Snowball Winter Wreath!
Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Your wreath is so very pretty, Janet! I love the colors and the hint of sparkle with the snowflake.

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ipad Pillow Stand

I like to watch tutorials on my Ipad and although I have a cover that converts to a stand, it isn't always the best solution for viewing. So I decided to make one of my own inspired by these Iphone stands I found on Etsy. They are sold by dognamedbanjo  and are really unique and lovely. So I thought I could make one similar to it and here is how i did it. First I started with a 1 yard of a fabric in my two favorite colors. Then I cut the following pieces 1 Pc 13" x 13" 1 pc 29 x 13" 2 Triangle pieces 13" x 13" x 13" Next I sewed the top square to the two triangles. This is will be the sides and the base. Next I took the large rectangular piece and sewed it to the bottom of the square. Now I don't have photos of the last few steps since once it start forming a pillow it is difficult to photograph, but the process is not that difficult. Next I sewed each side of the the rectangle to one side of the triangle on both s...

T-shirt Upcycle to Cardigan

I have had this large long sleeved t-shirt for about a year. I paid $2.99 for it at the Salvation Army and appeared to be new. I had thought about embellishing it with a flower or two but could not come up with a original or cute idea so I decided to make a cardigan out of it. So lets get started and upcycle another piece of clothing! First I laid the shirt out and measured from under arm to under arm to find the exact center. Once I found the center, I cut right up the middle. This step always makes me nervous ever since I was a child and tried to cut a collar on a coat to make it narrower. It was a disaster but I try not to think about it that much and just cut. Once it was cut, I decided to use the hem from another t-shirt that I had cut up for another project.  I cut two pieces of the hem of the t- shirt long enough to cover the edge of the cardigan and wrap around the top and bottom edge. I folded over the edge and pinned Then I pinned it to one side of the cardigan. Making s...

Ikea Magazine Re-do

I recently was at Ikea and purchased two set of FLYT Magazine holders. The completely white and come in packs of 5 for $1.99. I knew that I could spruce them up with something and had a perfect idea for them. This fabric panel that I purchased at an Estate sale a few weeks ago. It was one large curtain panel that really wanted to use as upholstery for something and the magazine holders were just the perfect match. I first assembled two and stapled them together. Next step was to lay them on my fabric to figure out how much I needed. The best thing about this fabric  was that it had hemmed edges and it would make my Re-do look more finished. I cut the fabric about 2-3" longer at the top to make sure it covered the entire piece.Next I lined up the hemmed edge to the bottom and stapled it top and bottom. This okay since it's the back of the holder and I will cover it up later. As you see I had to open the bottom up so I could staple the bottom. Next I used good old Mod Podge...